Thursday, October 15, 2015

Allergy Friendly Copycat Candy Bars

Or, how I came to make two of my least favorite candies


When I was a child, I loved Butterfingers, one of my absolute favorites. I must have overindulged (a King sized bar was to blame I believe) and I had a nightmare. I ate a Butterfinger and ended up blowing an oil bubble as a result. It's pretty tame as nightmares go, but I was done with butterfingers. 

As an adult, I would have an occasional snack-sized bar, but I never regained my love. However, for the past couple years, I have been seeing easy homemade Butterfinger recipes and finally decided to give it a try.

Peanut Free Butterfingers

Free of: peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, fish, shellfish, milk       

Contains: Soy and Egg

*The soy means that James will not be able to eat them. It is in the form of soy protein in the candy corn. Luckily, I caught this before offering a taste.


Ingredients:

2 cups candy corn
2 cups Sunbutter
Chocolate coating (I used Vermont Nut Free dark chocolate melts)
Sprinkles (I used Target Dollar Spot sprinkles)

Directions

1. Melt the candy corn in the microwave in 30 second intervals until smooth.
2. Add the sunbutter and stir. This will not be easy and I recommend a mixer.
3. Press into an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan which has parchment paper in it.
4. Put in the freezer for at least 30 min.
5. Cut the Butterfingers into pieces.
6. Using the directions here, melt your chocolate for dipping.
7. Cover with chocolate and quickly add the sprinkles on top.

Note:  Keep in mind that the smaller you cut the butterfingers, the more dipping you will have to do. This step may have gotten old for me.

And Mounds


I have never liked Mounds, not even as a child. They were only good for trading candy as far as I was concerned. However, I was not paying attention to our Amazon Subscribe and Save subscriptions and currently am buried in coconut. This was an attempt to use it up.

Free of: peanuts, tree nuts (except coconut), wheat fish, shellfish, and soy (yay!)

Contains: Egg and dairy (can be adapted to be dairy free)


Ingredients:

1 1/3 cup coconut flakes

2/3 c sugar

1/4 c cornstarch

1/2 c heavy cream

1/2 c coconut milk (in the carton not can)

2 egg yolks

2 T butter

Dipping chocolate and sprinkles

Note: To make dairy free, replace the 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 c coconut milk with 1 cup full fat coconut milk from the can. Also replace the 2 T butter with coconut oil.


Directions:

1. Put the coconut milk and sugar in a saucepan.
2. heat over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Add the heavy cream, cornstarch, and butter and stir until combined.
4. Add about 1/3 c of the hot liquid to the egg yolks, stirring continuously. This will help to keep the egg yolks from scrambling.
4. While stirring continuously, add the egg yolk mixture to the pan.
5. Add the coconut flakes to the pan and stir until the mixture thickens.
6. Allow to cool in the refrigerator. Then place in the food processor and pulse until you have a smooth mixture. This step might not be necessary depending on the thickness of your coconut flakes.
7. Roll into balls (or flat ovals to copy Mounds more exactly).
8. Again, melt the dipping chocolate and use to cover each one. Add the sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet.

 






1 comment:

  1. Thank you again for your flawless service, and I look forward to working with you in the future.

    ReplyDelete